The baby shower has received its name from the showering of love and gifts for the mommy-to-be. Baby showers allow family & friends to share the joy & excitement of welcoming a new life into the world. Every baby deserves a special welcome into our world, and having a shower to celebrate is exciting! Here are a few ideas, from baby shower invites to the favors to help you create a fabulous baby shower.
Baby Shower Invitations
Beginners Ultimate Baby Shower Planning Guide
Baby Shower Themes: Having a theme for your party makes the shower unique – and it’s fun! Here are some exciting themes for baby showers:
- A Star is Born: Celebrate the little star on the way by decorating the baby shower with stars and moons. Decorate with silver, yellow and blue colors and with star-shaped items and glitter for stardust. Create star stencils and write cute information on each star (i.e. parents to be names, grandparents names, “its a boy”, etc).
- Baby Noah’s Ark (for Twins): Decorate tables with twin stuffed animals. Each table should have a different set of animals. Elephants, lions, giraffes, etc. If you are assigning tables, you can have fun with this theme by writing the name of the animal table that the guest should be seated at. Everyone giving baby shower gifts can bring two of the same item. Remember, the items can be as small as baby spoons, diapers, or practical baby clothes.
- Baby Shower color themes: A blue and pink theme is a simple design that allows the most flexibility. Blue for boy baby showers and pink for girl baby showers are traditional themes that are commonly used baby showers. If the sex of the baby is not known, you can also pick a yellow and green theme that would work well for either a girl or a boy.
- Nursery Rhyme Baby Shower: Decorate the invitation and baby shower based on your favorite nursery rhymes. Your invitations can begin with ‘Once upon a time.’ Decorations can include Jack and Jill, a cow jumping over a moon, Humpty Dumpty, and other favorites.
For more theme ideas, check out a complete list of Baby Shower Theme Ideas
Baby Shower Invitations: Invitations are a great way to reflect the spirit and theme of your shower.
- Little Diaper Invites – Cut out triangles from pink & blue construction paper or felt. Then write the party details on one side of the triangle with a felt-tip pen. After, fold the triangle like a diaper and secure with a cute diaper pin. These look so cute!
- Baby Bottle Invitations – Your baby shower invitation can be in the shape of a baby bottle, or a square or rectangular invitation can have a decorative edge of cute little baby bottles.
- Baby Bib Invitations – Make a baby shower invitation in the shape of a bib. You can pick the color of the invitation based on the sex of the baby. Pink would be great for a baby girl, blue for a baby boy, or green/yellow if the sex is unknown.
- Bubble Gum Cigar – Announce the baby shower by sending your guests a bubble gum cigar with a tag describing all the party details.
Make sure to include the following information on the baby shower invite:
a) Name of Mommy-To-Be and host(s)
b) Location and date
c) Directions (important)
d) RSVP and Phone number
e) Where Mommy-To-Be is Registered
f) Theme of the party (if chosen)
Baby Shower Decorations: Baby shower decorations are a great way to increase the excitement at the baby shower and to make the party more festive.
- Baby Bottles: Empty baby bottles are a great way to decorate the room. Either ask a person who does not need their empty bottles anymore or go to a store and purchase inexpensive bottles. Decorate them with paint or magazine ads and glue that have baby shower related pictures. Use these bottles for centerpieces with flowers.
- Christmas Tree Decoration: If having a December Baby Shower, decorate a miniature Christmas tree in blue or pink lights and hang baby shower toys on the tree that the mother-to-be can take and use. This is a great way to be festive for the holiday and the baby shower party!
- Bears with balloons: It is great to decorate the room with teddy bears. To bring the color of your party to the bears, you can placce colored ribbon around the neck of the bears. You can also have each bear hold hold helium balloons.
- Streamers: Mix two or more colors that are part of your theme. Twist the streamers and hang them on the walls, ceilings, doorways, and stairs.
- Guestbook: Something for all the guests to sign when they arrive. Custom ones can be designed to match your event and/or your invitations. Leave a note for the baby to read when they’ve grown up a bit.
Baby Shower Games: The games at your baby shower can be one of the most memorable experiences. Before starting the baby shower games, it is always good to go around the room first as an ice breaker and have everyone introduce themselves and how they know the Mother-To-Be.
- Guess Mom’s Tummy Size: (Materials- String or yarn and scissors) Have each woman pull the yarn to the size they believe would fit perfectly around the Mother-To-Be’s center of her pregnant tummy. After everyone cuts their string, compare the results to the Mommy-To-Be’s actual tummy. Give a prize to the woman who is the closest! This is a baby shower favorite.
- Baby word scramble: This fun game is full of words for all things baby. Guests have a time limit to unscramble as many words as they can. The person with the most correct answers wins!
- Baby items in the bag: Place 10- 15 commonly used baby items in a large paper bag. Give each guest a pen and a sheet of paper. Let each guest stick their hand in the bag, touching the items, without looking. After each guest has had their turn, let them write down as many items as they can remember on their sheet of paper. The guest with the most correct answers wins.
- Place The Baby On The Mommy: (Materials- Cutouts of a baby with tape and blindfold). Another one of our favorite baby shower games is the baby shower version of Pin The Tail on the Donkey. Blindfold each participant and then give them a paper baby to then approach the mom and place the baby as close to the tummy as possible. The one who gets closest to placing the paper baby on the pregnant tummy wins.
- Baby Song List: Have each shower guest write down in 5 minutes all the songs that have baby in their titles (i.e. baby love, santa baby, one for my baby). You can make it harder by stating that you have to name who also wrote the songs! A baby shower favorite!
- What Was Mommy Wearing?, This is great game to find out who was paying the best attention to the mommy-to-be. After the guests have been mingling for a while, quitely usher the honoree out and then hand out the game. Give the guests only a few minutes to write down as many things as they can remember about what mommy was wearing!
Baby Shower Food: The special menu for the baby shower helps make the party memorable.
- For the cake you could have a chocolate cheesecake, cartoon character or baby picture – the choices are endless.
- Vegetables are another easy food to serve as appetizers or with the baby shower meal. As with fruit, you can cut up celery, broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots, and their favorites.
- Cucumber sandwiches are the baby shower #1 favorite sandwich because they’re frequently served at showers with an Afternoon Tea theme. You have some flexibility with the type of sandwich you serve; just make sure to cut the sandwiches into dainty portions.
- Chicken Wings – Especially popular with the men at couples showers, served with ranch dressing!
- Meat Balls – Another strong performer, especially at couples showers. Make sure to serve the small variety.
- Mini Pizzas – Everyone loves pizza, so when they’re small enough to pop in your mouth, they go fast.
- Coffee, tea, punch and soda are all great baby shower beverages.
Baby Shower Favor bags: Baby shower party favors are one of those nice touches at the baby shower. Its common for the host or hosts to give small, thoughtful baby shower favors to each of the guests to thank them for coming.
- Cookie Favors – You can make your own cookie favors easily as well. You will need cookie batter from the grocery store and a cookie cutter shaped like a rubber duck, teddy bear, or any other baby items. You can use whatever flavor you want and give your cookies unique baby shower shapes.
- Candle in a bag – A miniature candle is a nice gift. Simply place the candle inside a blue or pink organza bag, or wrap it in a cello bag and attach a personalized tag.
- Cute ceramics of baby booties, bottles, teddy bears or carriages with a thank you note attached.
- Bun In The Oven – Cook some cinnamon buns in the oven. When cooled, place one of the buns in a clear bag with a cute ribbon for presentation. Place a note with each of the buns stating “Thank you for coming from “name of mommy-to-be” and her little bun in the oven”.
These are just a few ideas to welcome a new life and to make mommy-to-be feel special. Have a great celebration!
We hope this baby shower planning guide was useful for you.